Friday, July 24, 2009

Bonne & Jan -- Sewing Artists Extraordinaire

First of all -- let me say that Jan Potter made the fabulous ZEBRA bag that I carry with me everywhere I go! She surprised me with it at the 2009 Expo -- and I love it so much -- I use the picture of me (with the bag) as my profile photo at the top of this blog...(thanks again, Jan!)


Jan Potter is on the left and Bonne Swett is on the right. Of course, that's one of our most popular Expo Sewing Stars -- Linda McGehee standing in the middle. Linda "discovered' the dynamic sewing duo of Jan & Bonne. And they brought 25 of their sewing "Challenges" to the 2009 Sewing & Stitchery Expo.

Their program was OUTSTANDING. The audience loved their presentation! Jan sews everything over-the-top -- with hanging threads, matching purses, embroidery, embellishments, whatever she can think of to push it to the BRINK. Bonne is more of an accountant-who-likes-orderly-matching-symetrical. Their differences are EXACTLY why their program was so entertaining! Because their challenge was to buy the same fabric, pattern or book and then go home to make their own "version". One year later, they unveil their creations to each other -- and they've been doing it for YEARS. In 2009 -- they shared their very different final projects with our EXPO audience and they were a BIG HIT.


In the second picture (if I get lucky) -- you can see Jan & Bonne on the stage with the FABULOUS MARK LIPINSKI!! His Saturday Night Quilter's Night Out was an incredible event. Mark came, loaded down with 40+ quilts -- and we all understood why his magazine, "Quilter's Home" is such a huge success story in the competitive world of quilting. He got the biggest standing ovation I have ever witnessed -- and nobody enjoyed it more than Jan & Bonne.


How am I doin', Jan & Bonne??

And -- have you started your 2010 challenges yet??

4 comments:

  1. Of course we have!!! Jan, the Queen of Creativity, better watch out! I'm going all out - really trying to clean out any cobwebs in the brain to find that really creative side Jan assures me is in there :-)

    Jan is still trying to convince me we need to make a vest for each other, a zebra challenge (wonder where she got that idea RITA??) But, being the control freak I am, I have yet to be convinced LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita! I'm learning so much about you on your blog, and I'm totally impressed at how well you're keeping up with it already. Love the idea of the two personalities taking the same fabric and returning with two different projects. I also didn't realize you'd written books--too little time in our blogging class to learn everything, I guess. Thanks for encouragement! It's a pleasure to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD...COMMENTS!!
    thanks. THAT WAS QUITE A THRILL!

    I give myself a blog assignment every day, Shaundra. Today was putting up a slideshow...learning Picasa...YIKES...

    fun so far..(as long as nobody really sees the damn thing!)

    I'm keeping up with your blog, too, girl...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita,
    Hi! Even though I am your cousin and probably
    biased to this blog, I really enjoy checking it
    every day. You are always entertaining and
    interesting. I had to laugh at the way you
    describe me going back to work--what a whiner I
    must sound like. As usual you put it in the
    right perspective. Keep up the good work-your blog is great!!! Kim

    ReplyDelete