Sunday, August 16, 2009

Too much treasure, too little time



I hope you enjoyed the slide show of yesterday's auction. WHAT A TREASURE TROVE, EH?




Here's the really big news. I DID NOT BUY A THING. Yes, amazing. I know. This is my new world. Thanks to my confession on this blog -- and the embarrassing picture of the back seat of my car -- I was able to RESIST bidding on anything. But it wasn't easy! These pillowcases were in unused condition -- absolutely PERFECT. And they went for $2.50 a pair. I had to literally sit on my hands to keep from bidding. But, as my friends can attest -- I already own over 100 pairs of similar beautifully embroidered pillowcases -- even though I give them as gifts every time somebody gets married, has a birthday, visits me, I visit them, etc. I JUST CAN'T USE THEM UP FAST ENOUGH. . And there was lots of other fabulous treasure. Did you see the carved wooden totem pole? And -- oh yeah -- a framed embroidered picture? In the past, I would have been bidding on at least 20 items.
Not to mention there was a fabulous collection of "ugly lamps". That's a private joke between me and Bert. She tells everybody "if the lamp is ugly enough, Rita will bid on it."
But the REAL treasure at yesterday's auction -- did you see it in the slide show? Can you guess what it is? YES -- IT'S THE Kenmore sewing machine, circa 1970 -- THE EXACT MODEL I OWNED THE YEAR I GOT MARRIED. And I loved, loved, loved that sewing machine. I have always been sorry that I got rid of it. Looking back, I can't imagine what I was thinking....
And, at yesterday's auction, I'm pretty sure it was going to be sold for $20 or so....
BUT I MADE MYSELF LEAVE BEFORE THAT HAPPENED.
Yes, My name is Rita -- and I own way too much stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment