Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bathroom Redo, part #1

My husband John and I built our house in 1980. Fast forward. After 30 years of constant use --at least two-showers-a-day -- the white tile wall surrounding our bathtub just caved in one day. Bummer. Apparently, the moisture had been wicking through the grout into the drywall. It was a HUGE MESS. John and his friend Jack removed the old tile and now-very-wet-ruined-drywall and installed new CEMENTboard. Then the challenge was to install new tile that would match (close enough) the two short white tile walls (they were solid as a rock).






I called MY COUSIN LINDA. I cannot tell you how many projects Linda has helped me with over the years. This was gonna be a biggie. We went shopping to the "RESTORE" place -- where you can buy boxes of mismatched tile, cans of paint, used lumber, etc. (It's the ultimate recycling building center.) Turns out the 4" white tiles of 2008 do not match the 4" white tiles of 1980. We decided we should make the wall into an "art project". EXCELLENT IDEA. We mixed in a few tan tiles, and some smaller blue tiles. It turned out GREAT.





Now, if I could just find the right shower curtain... (next post)




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have this all figured out because I will be ready for you soon to do my bathroom :) LOL!!! I am in the process of tearing down all the old tile right now!! I'm glad I know crafty people!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job. Girls can do anything!

    ReplyDelete