Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Breakfast Fritatta




Two of my favorite people in the world -- my sister Ronda and our good friend Phyllis -- came for breakfast on my porch. I made a fritatta. Every woman should have one "go to" delicious thing she cooks really, really well. Years ago, at a Sunday morning breakfast brunch in New York City -- I discovered fritattas. Since then, I've made them with feta cheese & spinach, leftover spaghetti or hashbrowns, green onions -- it is a very flexible dish. Fritattas are often featured on my favorite cooking shows (yes, I am addicted to the Food Network!). Another great thing about a fritatta is that you can make it on top of the stove, or in the oven. It is great for leftover vegetables, macaroni & cheese, meat...whatever you like. Here's the one I made:




Cheese/Bacon/Fritatta



In a mixing bowl, beat 6 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk. Then, I added:

1 cup leftover pasta

1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/2 small white onion, chopped

1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/2 cup cooked bacon (or ham, salami, meatballs, sausage, pepperoni, etc.

Pour into a large pie pan (no crust). Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until set. (I added another handful of grated cheese on top, with lots of crispy crumbled bacon).


P.S. If you have the right size non-stick skillet, you can cook it entirely on top of the stove -- and it takes about half the time. But the secret is to have it "set" (without burning) -- and then use a plate to "flip" the whole thing so it cooks on both sides...OR -- you can start on top of the stove, and finish it off under the broiler. It's one of those easy, versatile dishes...





We also had a fruit salad and warm scones. HEY -- they were not as good as the *Fischer Scones we get at the Puyallup Fairgrounds -- but because I had a jar of delicious homemade peach jam, they moved up the taste ladder to AWESOME.


* Ever since Debra Justice gave me a Fischer Scones Mix gift box years ago -- I have occasionally made scones from scratch. Frankly -- the mix is better! This year, I'm gonna remember to STOCK UP during Sew Expo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment