Sunday, September 6, 2009

Power of Words

I believe children live "UP TO" an adult expectation. Of course, that means they also live "down to" an adult expectation. So -- the important thing is to have high expectations. And how do
you do that? I believe one of the best ways is to TELL them. Duh! But that's often easier said than done.

Are you supposed to have meaningful conversations during breakfast? On your way to the soccer game? Being a Parent/Lecturer almost never works. Kids tune you out...

I believe our thoughts become our words and our words become our actions. Both Good and Bad.

So, it's important to give children some really good stuff to THINK ABOUT. Of course, that always meant BOOKS. But -- just to be safe -- I hang inspirational sayings all over the house. (especially in the bathroom!)

I love words. On everything. The walls, the pillows, the sheets -- you name it and I embellished it with words. I especially love embroidered samplers. I love, love, love, knowing that many years ago, somewhere, there was a woman, who enjoyed sewing, and she spent hours embroidering her sampler. To send a message dcown through the ages -- and it ended up in my house. I have a collection of over 100 embroidered "samplers" -- every one of them with the theme of love, friendship and/or family.

One of my favorite samplers says, "Life Has No Blessing Like A Good Friend."

It was a gift. From a really good friend....and she knows who she is...

No comments:

Post a Comment