Friday, November 27, 2009

Chicago Weddings

Okay -- it's BLACK FRIDAY. Time to rush out there and find some bargains!! I'm not much of a shopper. But the best time I had shopping this year was with my friend Marion -- when we met for a few days in beautiful, downtown CHICAGO.

I love this picture. If you look closely -- you can see me & Marion reflected in the glass. During our all-too-brief-October-visit to Chicago -- we walked the mile to the Art Institute when we noticed this bakery window. Here we are, making fun of the gigantic "Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" cake!! It had little twinkle lights strung through every archway...




Then -- we bumped into a REAL WEDDING taking place in the park. If you can see the bridal party -- the young bride is wearing a dress she BOUGHT ON EBAY!!



The intricate detal of the dress itself does not show up in this picture. But trust me -- there is cutwork, and hand-embroidery. It is a stunning example of a dress lovingly made by an accomplished seamstress. Her friend told us a woman made it for her daughter in 1962...and this young bride didn't need a single alteration...

I remember looking at that bride, on that day, wearing that beautiful vintage wedding dress and thinking that's why women sew. We love using our own hands to make something that will last -- something that is worthy of being passed down to the next generation. So many of my most treasured things are about that. Embroidered pillowcases, hand made quilts...some were made by my own ancestors -- many were lovingly made by women I am not related to. But I hope they'd be happy to know I treasure their workmanship and I appreciate their skills...

And, of course, there was a really incredible pair of shoes I could not resist taking a picture of...



Amazing, eh? (altho, painful, I would think...) I'm thinking I can add a little spandex zebra stripe ankle cuff to just about any pair of black shoes...why wouldn't that work?
No matter what you're doing today -- take a minute to pat yourself on the back. Thanksgiving was a lot of work -- and you deserve a break today. Go sew something...

No comments:

Post a Comment