Monday, November 2, 2009

My Auction Addiction

Whenever we can, Bert & I spend our Saturdays hanging out at an auction. Our favorite auctioneers are the GMB boys, and they often hold their sales at the fairgrounds in Dewitt, Iowa.

If you're ever in the neighborhood -- GMB has a website where they list their upcoming auctions. Here's a link: GMB Auctioneers



For the record, its a LOT OF WORK to put on a good auction. First, they must pack up all the stuff and haul it to the fairgrounds. Then they have to UNpack all the stuff and get it displayed. They rent a venue, advertise the auction, organize it on tables or in rows so you can see the merchandise. IT TAKES A LOT OF MAN/WOMAN hours.

When I'm in town, if there's a GMB auction up in DeWitt, I can assure you that Bert and I are gonna have a PERFECT DAY.

At a recent auction, I hit the jackpot. Here's a picture of the LINEN WALL. There was sooo much stuff -- tablecloths, pillowcases, rugs, curtains. To me -- it's like digging for buried treasure. Keep scrolling to see a picture of MY BEST TREASURE OF THE DAY...


The back seat of my car is FULL AGAIN. With what? Well, let me think...there was:

A full length mirror ($1.00).
Black Cat Clock ($12) (the eyes move sideways, and the tail moves.)
Jack & Jill antique clock ($5) (WITH the original box!)
Redwork bed linens ($2.50) (soon to be my new kitchen curtains..)
Big box of brand new aluminum foil ($5)
Black computer wheeled suitcase (Free) (I paid $2.50 for a big pile-o-stuff because I wanted the suitcase -- and a guy came over and offered me $2.50 for a blue tarp that was in the pile.)

So -- okay -- here's my best treasure of the day.

Many times, somebody will say to me, "hey -- if you ever see a ___________..." Last year, my friend Anne told me to be on the lookout for an "Iowa tablecloth". She remembered growing up, knowing the Iowa State Bird, and various other useful state trivia -- and she said she'd like to have one for her kids. (Anne was sewing Halloween costumes for her twins - remember?)

Well, this is the first she's hearing about it -- BUT I FOUND THE TABLECLOTH, ANNE!! And it is in pristine condition. The little paper sticker is still on the edge that says, "hemmed by the blind women of Iowa.". No kidding...it really says that.... here's my mediocre cellphone pic....



Does it look familiar? How about lunch next week? I'll bring you YOUR NEW TABLECLOTH...

No comments:

Post a Comment