Thursday, November 12, 2009

Davenport Historic Tour

Having friends is just like having a garden....you've got to tend to the friendship. Sue and I have been friends since we were 12 years old. Right now, we're both really busy all the time...and we hadn't spent a day together since August. Shame on us.

Recently, on a stunningly beautiful fall day -- even though she was babysitting her 8-month old grandson, Ian. We just decided to GO FO IT. So, the three of us went on a bus tour of Davenport, Iowa's historic neighborhoods.

WHAT FUN!!

Ian was born about the same time as our Lillian -- and the lucky little guy has Grandma Sue for a babysitter! Although we were hesitant about taking the tour with the baby....he was an angel all day. (I'm sure the other people on the tour were concerned about having a baby on the bus...)

I am a sucker for any kind of architectural or historic tour. When I travel, if I have a spare afternoon -- that's the first thing I do. Of course, New York City is my favorite. The Theodore Roosevelt house tour, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, the Tenement Museum on the lower east side. I LOVE these tours. Last year, I enjoyed a half-day tour of Pittsburgh. One of my favorite tours ever was the architectural river tour I took with my friend Marion in Chicago. Last year, spring Quilt Market was in Salt Lake City -- and Mary Mulari & I went on a tour of the Bringham Young house. Well, you get the idea. Here are some pictures of homes in Davenport's historic neighborhoods...
Most of these houses overlook the Mississippi River...


more tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment