Saturday, November 14, 2009

More Historic Homes

My pictures suck -- but you get the idea. This beauty has an incredible paint job, with flowers between the windows. I cut off the turret...

Stunning views of the Mississippi River. This home is in McClellan Heights -- there used to be a Civil War fort in this location.

Sue & I got on the bus with about 15 other people. As it turned out, Baby Ian was the HIT of the day!! Not only is he absolutely adorable -- but he watched our tour guide, Matt, with rapt attention for over an hour. That little guy smiled and charmed everybody....

After the tour, we went back to the swanky "Outing club" for lunch. I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T GET A PICTURE OF THE CHEESE SOUFFLE...!! Wow. What a beautiful day we had.

This event was put on by Eastern Iowa Community College. Check around in your own area -- you might be surprised by what's available. Every city in the country has that BIG MANSION that used to belong to the richest family in town. In Pottsville, Pennsylvania, it's the Yuengling Mansion (Yuengling Beer)on Mahantongo Street. In Moline, Illinois, it's the Deere-Weiman House (John Deere).

This time of year, they often hold Christmas events in these classy old mansions. Bert & I like to go on those "Holiday House Tours" where they get all gussied up for Christmas. I always see a hundred decorating ideas that I'M GOING TO DO NEXT YEAR...lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment