Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Arm Covers for Chairs

Okay -- this falls into the category of "boring, utility sewing" --

I have a lime-green recliner in my living room -- which I LOVE. It was $22 at the Goodwill store. I've had it for maybe two years -- and the entire time, I've been annoyed with the skimpy little arm covers...

Hey -- don't get me wrong -- since this particular LazyBoy was probably 30 years old before I brought it into our lives -- I was thrilled it came with arm covers!

But, finally, I decided to do something about them. I dug through my extensive "Goodwill Sweater Stash" until I found something that coordinates with my living room.

I cut the zipper front out of the sweater, because I might want to use it to make an ENTIRELY NEW SWEATER...



But the sleeves were the PERFECT amount of fabric for me to use to make "extenders" around the bottom of my arm covers...



Now the chair has nice DEEP arm covers. Which I love. And the sweater fabric really stays put, too. It occurred to me, after I was done, that I could have made the OUTSIDE of the cover 24" long -- and it would have been a great way to give the chair a whole new look! Kind of like "faux upholstery"...

No comments:

Post a Comment