Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Americal Idol

If you haven't been watching American Idol -- START NOW. Because there is an amazing thing going on. We are getting to meet Crystal Bowersox.




And we get to hear her sing....Oh My God....what a treat.

At first -- she didn't look the part...she's not the 20-something polished, overly-styled pretty girl we've come to expect. Her teeth aren't perfect. She has some tatoos and body piercings and a mane of blond dreadlocks (isn't that an oxymoron?)

But -- p-u-l-e-e-z-e -- the girl can SING...!!

From week one, I also fell in love with Michael Lynch -- "Big Mike". He has a wonderful tone to his voice, and really can FEEL a song. I also look forward to hearing Siobahn Magnus every week -- her rendition of Aretha Franklin’s “Freedom" was killer.

But the singer I'm waiting for each week is Crystal Bowersox. When she walks on the stage, I sit up in my chair, ignore my telephone and shut down my laptop.

Reviewers have called her the next Janis Joplin with a little Melissa Ethridge mixed in. I don't know enough about music to agree or disagree with that assessment. And I think the struggle for any artist is to simply be YOURSELF....

I only know Crysgal Bowersox is amazing. When she sings, I get goosebumps. And I hope I'll be buying her albums for years to many years to come... and it'll be fun to look back and remember when I first met her...


2 comments:

  1. I loved her comment on which judge she listen to and tries to please. Her answer was I try to please myself. She is so talented. Go Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called her out at the first audition. I make bets with my husband. Last night he finally agreed with me. And for the guys. . I think Lee finally turned the corner and could be with Crystal at the end. I too would have her albums on my iPod. . .and I am no spring chicken. I do know who Janis & Melissa are and I agree, she has a soulful voice.

    ReplyDelete