Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Greenstock At the Putnam

Okay -- it's well established that I LOVE having ADVENTURES with people you enjoy. And, I'm sure there are amazing things happening right in your own back yard. Recently, the kids were out of school for Spring Break...and I told my niece Amy I'd like to spend a day with her two oldest boys, Cale and Garrett. We picked an arbitrary day -- and -- in a complete stroke of RITALUCK -- the Putnam Museum in Davenport, Iowa was having their annual "Greenstock" event.


What an AWESOME time we had. There were many crafty events set up all around the room -- here, the boys are making necklaces out of old computer parts..

After two hours, the HEY RITA tote is full of crafted treasures-- windchimes, bracelets, coffee-ground fossils...


We all made a fabulous TIE-DYED t-shirt AND we even got a tree to take home for planting.

THESE BOYS WERE WONDERFUL. Cale is 10 and Garrett is 7. (I think) Altho I see them frequently -- it's often a holiday occassion -- and they're at the kids table while the "adults" visit. But on our Greenstock day, the boys and I talked about everything under the sun. Favorite foods, civil rights, what they're going to do when they grow up, who Rosa Parks was, and why everybody pays taxes...

At one point, I thanked the boys for making it such a fun day -- and I said, "one day soon -- you won't be caught dead spending time with your old Aunt Rita..."

And Garrett said, very somberly, "that is never going to happen to us..."

Oh, yeah, I'm one lucky Great-Aunt...and I know it...!!

1 comment:

  1. This brought happy tears to my eyes. Yes. You are one lucky lady (and lucky, too, are Cale and Garrett)!! But, of course, you've made the CHOICE to spend time with them over other things that you could have done.

    People before things.

    Lasting memories.

    Thanks for posting. A great beginning to my day

    ReplyDelete