Saturday, May 1, 2010

New York City DAY ONE

Last Sunday, my flight was leaving the Moline airport at 5:50 AM. INDECENT. But the good news is -- I'll get into New York City before Noon. GREAT. Also -- I have to connect through Chicago O'Hare. I like all airports -- but Chicago has something veeeery special. Yes -- that's right -- let's hear some applause -- for the SARAN-WRAPPED-TOILET-SEATS!!

REALLY!! This invention always makes me smile...you push the little green button -- and fresh saran wrap marches around the toilet seat...Magic. TRULY...this had to be invented by a woman. I'm just sure of it...



ORD has another exciting thing happening right now -- ART benches!! I LOVE EM, LOVE EM, LOVE EM. Although I took about 20 pictures -- this is my favorite...

After I got a cab from the airport to my NYC hotel (more about that later!) -- my friend April came to my hotel -- and took me up to the GREEN FLEA MARKET at 76th Street and Columbus. It's a GREAT flea market (only open on weekends) -- with lots of handmade and vintage stuff -- including a vendor who was making the cutest little leather baby shoes I have ever seen (and you KNOW this is my new obsession)...

I bought a "neck piece"...(which you'll see sooner or later)...and April was EXCITED ABOUT the booths of fresh food -- and she wanted to BUY PLANTS for her apartment. April is a "foodie" -- and bought fresh herbs for her window...


As we walked down the street -- there were dozens of little white tents -- OH MY -- IT'S AN ART FAIR!! Jewelry, bags, clothes -- so many treasures to see...

And one of the things I found most remarkable was the way the vendors packaged up April's plant purchases. Because nobody in the city has a car -- the vendors KNOW they must come up with a way for people to carry a heavy load on the bus or subway...so this blue plastic sleeve made the trip back to April's apartment easy-peasy...
April was kind enough to take me on a tour of her SOHO apartment. It is SOOO fascinating to see how real people live in this big beautiful city...

THANKS AGAIN, APRIL -- for spending your day with me!! I LOVED IT...

No comments:

Post a Comment