Friday, April 2, 2010

Our little room...

I love the house I live in. It is very small by today's standards. But we designed and built it ourselves (in 1981)...and it has several rooms that simply "morphed" with our family's needs.

On the first floor -- there is a small room across the hall from our bedroom. Initially, when we moved into the house, Elliott was a newborn and it was his nursery.

Several years later, he moved upstairs to share a room with Ross -- and the little room became my sewing room. In 1984, the year of the Cabbage Patch CRAZE -- I created 125 cabbage patch dolls. Cheerleaders, military uniforms -- you name the doll dress, and I sewed it in that little room.

I'm really sorry I never got any pictures of the room during those early "phases".

After I opened a fabric store, and started doing my sewing at work -- and we decided to turn it into John's "den". I vividly remember the day I cleared out all my boxes and bags of fabric, stuffing, patterns, doll heads and sewing machines. The room was empty -- and I had just run the vacuum.

Ross, who was maybe eight years old at the time, came running down the hallway, squealing with delight, "Mom -- THERE'S CARPETING BACK THERE."

Eventually, the boys left home and John bought a new computer and moved his "den" upstairs (mostly to get away from me.)

That room turned into my "office". That's where I wrote "Life Is Not A Dress Size". When I was working for Designs in Machine Embroidery, I set up an embroidery machine in that room, and put up lots of shelves for stabilizers, thread, etc.

Eventually, I started doing most of my writing while sitting in a Lazyboy in the living room. I like being smack dab in the middle of things. So, the little room across from our bedroom became a bad habit. A "catch-all"...mostly used for "storage". ugh...

If I made a video RIGHT THIS MINUTE -- that little room could land me on the "Hoarder" TLC show...

But it ain't gonna happen, people. I have shared a lot with you...but there simply has to be a LINE...

Anyway -- our little room is about to morph again....back into a nursery....this time -- for A LITTLE GIRL...

Yes. Lillian needs her own space, don't you think?

Gheesh...this is gonna be a lot of work...

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your journey with your room, Rita! The ever changing seasons of life and adapting to those changes is always an adventure! :)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete