Saturday, July 10, 2010

Who's gift is it?

When I visit Elliott & Emily, I insist on taking the baby monitor to bed with ME -- just in case Lillian wakes up during the night. This is my gift to Emily -- a rare occasion when she can go to bed and know that she won't have to get up with the baby...


The last time I visited Wisconsin, Lilly was teething...and this particular night had been a rough one. At 2:00 AM, she woke up for the second time...and nothing seemed to work. She didn't want anything to drink...her diaper was dry...Baby Orajel on her gums didn't help. As we were sitting in the dark living room, she didn't want me to rock her....and she was starting to ramp up the crying...


I feared Emily would come out any minute...in desperation, I wrapped Lilly in her blanket and stepped out on the back porch. The night air was chilly -- and there was a full moon. Lilly immediately quit crying. We sat and she leaned into me -- occasionally pointing at car lights in the distance...

She sat quietly in my lap as I softly talked nonsense into her ear...pointing to the moon and telling her the ridiculous stories about it being made out of cheese...which have now been totally disproved...she was listening intently...

After 20 minutes or so -- her lids fluttered and I knew she was ready to go back to bed. As I opened the door door to go back into the house, holding her on my hip, she blew a kiss up into the sky and said, "Bye, Moon"...

Once again proving what I've always known....Every gift you give comes back to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment