Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mystery Quilt Squares

At a recent Saturday afternoon auction with my friend Bert -- I stumbled onto a treasure-troves of amazing linens. (you already saw the pillowcases)...

Something I almost never buy -- some quilt squares. The fabrics were great examples of the 30's chicken feed sack calicos. But I hadn't paid much attention until I got them home and noticed the one square that was not completely finished...that's when I noticed, for the first time -- the quality of the work...

I could hardly wait to take them to the next Breakfast Club for "sew & tell". Cousin Jackie is visiting from Oklahoma on this day...

Really. The quality of sewing on these mystery quilt squares is absolutely incredible...the stitches are invisible on the back side of the muslin...

There are 16 quilt squares....although I paid $20 for the box -- mostly, I was bidding on the FIVE sets of embroidered cotton pillowcases -- so these quilt squares were an amazing bonus...

WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THEM?? My breakfast clubbers thought I should put them together with some nice zebra-stripe banding to "make it my own"...lol. Hummm...the mystery quilter did have a "black & white" piece in almost every design...

I'm thinkin' on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment