Wednesday, September 15, 2010

As The World Turns

This is the last cast photo of my favorite soap opera, As The World Turns. On September 17, the last episode will air and I'm sure I'll adjust.

But it is sad. For me -- soap operas represent the rhythm of my childhood and days gone by. My mother would tune in every day -- and in the summer I'd sit with her and we'd watch the show together. As The World Turns came on at 1:00 -- and it was Mom's only break during the day. The younger kids were napping, Dad was still at work, and she didn't have to start supper yet...


When I was a kid, I believed every house in America took a break at 1:00 to sit for 30 minutes and relax as they watched Bob, Lisa, Kim and their glamorous life in Oakdale.

But things aren't like that any more. For one thing -- near as I can tell -- a daily "official break" is a thing of the past. Thanks to full time jobs, cellphones, high speed internet, computers, Blackberries and IPODS -- nobody I know gets to relax for 30 minutes every day.

Isn't there something wrong with that?

Shouldn't all these "modern conveniences" be IMPROVING our lives?? Instead of making them more hectic??

Goodbye Kim, Bob, Chris, Katie, Henry, Lisa, Barbara, Lucinda, Lilly, Holden, Luke, Carly, Jack, Craig...et al...I will miss "As The World Turns".

I always knew you were not real people. And I never believed Oakdale was a real town. But I will miss watching you and it feels like I'm losing a friend.

*************

P.S. During his recent visit -- Ross and John were actually watching As The World Turns. Ross hasn't watched it for a couple of years -- and he didn't realize there was a "gay couple" storyline. As Luke leaned in to kiss Noah -- Ross blurted, ,"DAD, WHERE'S THE REMOTE?? John -- panicked -- scrambling -- said 'I DON'T HAVE IT -- YOU MUST HAVE IT...HURRY ....CHANGE THE CHANNEL...."

Really...I wish I'd been in the room...I'm sorry I missed it...

No comments:

Post a Comment