Monday, September 6, 2010

Chicago Art Institute

It was the hottest day in Chicago for FIVE YEARS. Oh yeah...Marion (my friend from Canada) and I are taking a couple of days of R&R. She flew the fabulous Porter Air from Toronto -- and I drove. A quick 3 hours for both of us.

This is a random picture -- on our way to the Art Institute.



Once we arrived -- Marion found a Renoir...


Grant Wood drew me in like he always does, with his American Gothic magnet...



There was a large wall, with pieces of upholstery fabric hanging...(I'm thinking -- maybe my basement really is ART??)



I found myself taking pictures of the very same pictures I saw last year...Georgia O'Keefe flowers, Hopper's Nighthawks, the Grant Wood...THEN IT HAPPENED. I saw this picture...


My Iowa family will understand completely. IT'S MY BROTHER-IN-LAW NED..!! I swear...if the guy was wearing bib overalls -- Ned would be able to sue them for stealing his likeness...except maybe it was painted 100 years ago...I dunno...

Speaking of my "art-ignorance" -- here I am, in the contemporary section -- in front of a very famous painting...

My expression is, "really??" Yes, that's right, it's all black. Well, mostly black. There is a nearly invisible fine white line in the center of the canvas...wha??

I asked Marion to take this picture. The young uniformed guard was looking at me, and I said, "I need the picture so I can make fun of it." She nodded in an understanding way...

To be honest (and this is hard for me) -- many times, visiting a sophisticated art gallery feels like I'm living out a chapter in "the Emperor's New Clothes".

1 comment:

  1. Can totally relate with regards to some contempory art. There is some that I do like, but, like you, sometimes I just go "huh?" If you want to see some cool contempory stuff, check out Bevshots. It's some guys making art from photos of alcoholic beverages at the microscopic level. It's amazing stuff. They have a FB page.
    Laura in Puyallup

    ReplyDelete