Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Kalona Fall Festival

I have a pretty disciplined work schedule. The truth is -- Saturday is the only day I leave my house. So I quite look forward to it. If I'm lucky, I'll kick around on Saturday with my friend Bert. Our day ALWAYS starts with breakfast. After that, we're pretty flexible. But we both prefer to have some kind of treasure hunt...

And we love a little day trip. This little shop is right outside of Kalona, Iowa...

All the businesses in Kalona were decked out for their Fall Festival...

Even though the weather did not cooperate -- rain ruined most of the outdoor activities -- we had plenty of inside treasure hunting to amuse us. These dresses sooo reminded me of the dresses my Mom used to sew for me and my sisters...I'm sorry we did not value them enough to hang on to them...

I've always been a sucker for all-things-gingham. This Apron was $12, though -- and that's over my apron budget...

Bert collects different things than I do -- right now, she's into cottage cheese bottles. I didn't even KNOW cottage cheese used to come in bottles...

Of course, a really good Saturday means breakfast AND lunch...and I'm debating whether or not to write that post...

Maybe it would be better if I just let you imagine our lovely lunch in this sweet little Amish town...

2 comments:

  1. The photo of the old dresses reminded me of a note I recently received from my former Girl Scout leader, Rosemary, who will be 90 in February. She stated she hoped her granddaughter was cherishing the quilt she had given to her. The one Rosemary's mother made for her years ago from some of her old school dresses. We can only hope that she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I would treasure a quilt made by my great-grandmother out of old school dresses...what a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete