Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Memphis the Fashionista

My great-niece, Memphis, 2, is developing a fine sense of fashion -- and I'm getting a big kick out of her very definite "taste" in clothes.

Her Mom, (my niece Nicole), made the mistake of telling me that Memphis could "use some new shirts" (my whole family knows I'm constantly scouring the local thrift shops, etc.). A few days later -- I called to say it was time for Memphis to TRY ON HER NEW CLOTHES...

The fun part for me is -- well, first of all -- finding the clothes. I never pay more than $1 for anything. THEN I get to remodel them. Because most baby clothes don't fit right. The shirts are too short -- and the pants are too long. So, I add a ruffle or a band...and take a tuck in the pants. IT'S SO MUCH FUN.

This shirt was too short -- so I just cut the bottom off and added a completely different a-line tie dye from my t-shirt pile...

This is a terrible picture of one of Memphis' favorites. She LOVES bling...and this t-shirt says, "My Aunt Loves Me". But it was too short, and the neck opening was way too tight. I cut off the original neck ribbing and added a cowl neckline...and added a second green band on the bottom...

These little jeans were way too long, but I didn't want to lose the applique flower. So, I cut the bottoms off -- lost about 3" of fabric -- and then, added some t-shirt fringe when I reattached the bottoms.

Here's a picture of Memphis, stylin' in her new jeans. This is actually the SECOND picture I took of her...

Because the FIRST time I tried to take her picture -- I pushed the button and she IMMEDIATELY RAN over to see herself on the back of the digital camera -- which is why she is not in the picture at all. (you can just barely see her back on the left side of the pic)...

That little girl is FAST -- I'M TELLING YOU...

I love this kind of sewing. And the bonus benefit for me is that it's my reward for staying on the treadmill. It sounds silly -- but I make myself walk half a mile -- then I get to add a ruffle or shorten some little girl pants. It's fast and easy -- and if things don't turn out -- nobody cares.

And I have TWO LITTLE girls to sew for. Lillian is getting some extremely FABULOUS outfits when she comes for Thanksgiving. But Lilly does NOT enjoy changing clothes -- whereas Memphis LOVES DOING THAT. She cheerfully tried on three pairs of pants and six different shirts.

I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN sewing for these two little girls. You will be seeing many projects in the next coupla weeks...and it'll be interesting to see which ones Memphis actually chooses to wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment