Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

On January 1, I make pork and sauerkraut. In 40 years of marriage, there has never been any variation on this menu...because it's supposed to "bring you luck"...and so far, it's working. We attribute every bit of our happiness and good fortune to our New Year's Tradition of eating pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day.


The side dishes may change (this year, there will be popovers) -- but it is ALWAYS a large fresh pork roast with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. This tradition is from my husband's family. And as far as I know, every family in Pennsylvania eats the same menu on January First. Do you have a New Year's Day traditional meal?


John was born and raised in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. His mother was Irish/Ukranian and his father 100% Italian. Yet -- both sides of the family ate pork and sauerkraut on January 1.

The first time I visited Pottsville, I was surprised by the ethnic nature of the town. For example, when John was a kid, there was the IRISH Catholic church, and the Italian Catholic church.

On my first visit, we went to visit his Irish Granny Lucy -- 200 pounds, wearing shorts and a red halter top, with a cigarette from her lips (with a 1" ash clinging to the end).

Granny asked, "Rita Little? What kind of name is that?"

I looked at her...blankly....honestly not understanding the question...

Then she urged (loudly) -- "So -- what are you?"

After an awkward silence, I said, " A Lutheran".

Which -- of course -- was NOT the right answer.

I was 21 at the time and never thought that everybody had to "be something". Everybody in Granny Lucy's world was Irish or Italian or Russian....

But growing up in Iowa -- I never once had a sense of that. In my family, it simply wasn't a topic of conversation.

Hopefully, some day soon Lillian will be able to HELP me cook the New Year's Day meal. (she LOVES her play kitchen)

Of course, Sophie will be there to clean up any scraps...

(There is a big chance of sauerkraut going overboard...)

Yes, I completely understand these are random, superfulous pictures of Lillian.

Deal with it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Growing up, I always knew what kind of family I had. You see I was from a mixed marriage - just like John. My mom was from Clinton and my dad was from Camanche. Happy New Year Rita! I'm all for superfluous pictures of Lillian. The more the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL back at ya! For my readers who don't know -- Camanche, Iowa is a suburb or Clinton, Iowa...kinda..??

    ReplyDelete