Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day...

I happen to think Valentine's Day is a holiday with some actual merit. Because it's a good idea to actually TELL THE PEOPLE in your life that you love them...


John and I have been married for 40 years -- and it hasn't always been fun. For either one of us. (I am the master of understatement...)

One problem was that it took me 20 years to figure out how John shows love....first of all -- HE FIXES THINGS...whether it's running the snowblower, clearing our lane, taking care of the garden, mowing the grass...
Doing repairs, making sure the steps don't creak, repairing the thingy in our dryer (for the 3rd time), updating the lighting or making new shelves...

John takes care of every living thing around here. In the summer, he keeps five hummingbird feeders going at all times. I'm sure our house is famous with every hummingbird flock...because THEY KNOW THEY CAN RELY ON HIM...

He has cats who also rely on him -- and a flock of chickens who reward him every day with 20 perfect brown eggs...

This morning, he made scrambled eggs for me the Barefoot Contessa way -- gentle, low heat...ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS...

So, after 40 years -- we're in a very good place. We got lucky -- and we know it. We enjoy each other's company...we laugh every day....and I travel just enough for him to miss me...

No comments:

Post a Comment