Monday, March 14, 2011

I Write Trite

I often write "posts" for this blog far in advance. Blogger makes it easy to schedule posts into the future -- and it has become a part of my daily life. I often take pictures of random things, just because I think it'll be fun to write a post about it. Then, sitting in my living room at night, watching the Real Housewives...I'll put the pictures with the words and see if it's a "post"...

Writing has always been my therapy. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm really feeling about a thing until I write it down...

So -- when I'm traveling -- like my recent 8 day trip to Puyallup -- I post the blogs before I leave -- so I don't have to even think about it when I'm on the road.

But the bad thing is that something really serious can happen in the world -- and my blog makes it seem like I think laundry or American Idol is the most important thing...

Hey -- hanging laundry is often the EXACT PURPOSE of this blog. Sewing a dinosaur blanket, having breakfast with your crew...I enjoy writing about the little things that women do...the perfect popover, having a porch party with your cousins. I believe it's those everyday tasks, those very ordinary, thoughtful meals or chores or visits that make a life worth living.

But, for the last three days, watching the horrific video from Japan -- seeing the devastation caused by the earthquake and the tsunami, the loss of life, the nuclear plants melting down -- well...

I dunno. I keep thinking how in just a few moments -- so much was destroyed and lost. Lives, homes, businesses -- everything. Gone forever. For millions of Japanese people -- their lives will never be the same.

They will always measure their lives by "before" the earthquake...and "after"...

Today -- I just couldn't write my usual trite. I want to be sad. And I also want to be grateful. I am both those things...in equal measure...

This is just me, hitting the pause key...

No comments:

Post a Comment