Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pillowcase Patrol

This year's Pillowcase Patrol was a MARRIAGE MADE IN HEAVEN. Because we realize our audience LOVES TO DO charity sewing. We used to set up an area at the show -- but it is no longer feasible to do it on the grounds. So -- with the inspiration of the "Million Pillowcase" project -- and our partnership with Mary Bridge Children's Hospital -- we asked you to sew your pillowcases and BRING THEM TO THE SHOW...

AND, BOY -- DID YOU EVER!! This picture, taken on Sunday, is with Barbara Barolatz and one of her volunteers...from Mary Bridge...

They were keeping a running count...and by Sunday morning -- we officially HIT 2000..!!!

In this picture, Barbara and I each picked a favorite! The pillowcases were AMAZING...we were stunned by the LARGE VOLUME OF pillowcases!! They completely filled the back seat of Barbara's car -- AND the back of a Jeep Cherokee as well...!! Just HAULING them back to Mary Bridge became a VERY BIG JOB...

There were so many stories as the ladies delivered their pillowcases...I'll be sharing some of them, along with more pictures, as I sort through...

For me, one of the memorable moments of the 2011 Sewing & Stitchery Expo happened on the first day. Thursday. 8:30. The show has opened -- but Barbara and her volunteers haven't made their way to the booth yet. So I am there, alone, accepting pillowcase donations...

One woman came in with 65 pillowcases. Oh My Goodness. This is a HUGE pile. I'm helping her to stack them up, and trying to give her some Coats & Clark thread...as well as a door prize ticket for each pillowcase...when she put her hand on top of mine and said, "No, dear. Please. I didn't do it for glory. I did it for the children."

wow.

The very next woman who came up delivered 45 pillowcases -- bright little-boy prints. I said, "how great to see something for the BOYS"...and she said, "My Mom loved to sew for her four grandsons. Over the years, she made them pajamas, pillows, shirts, tents -- you name it. Mom died last year and I knew this was the perfect thing to do with her fabric stash. My sisters and I spent the last two weekends making these pillowcases."

Oh, yeah. It was amazing.

Barbara has many more stories to share...Mary Bridge gives out about 500 pillowcases each month...

Good job us...
***********

2 comments:

  1. I made 2 pillowcases for this, but due to a family emergency, was unable to attend the show. Is there any way for me to mail the pillowcases to Mary Bridge Hospital? I would love to send them in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought in 12 - half girls and half boys. When I dropped them off, the volunteer said it was great to get some for the boys. This was a fun and easy project to do. I don't always have time during the show to do the charity sewing or I miss the tent it's in, so this was great. Let's do something similar next year!

    ReplyDelete