Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kim's Salad Recipe

We were invited to Easter dinner at my niece Nicole's house. I wanted to take a salad -- and I got this recipe from my cousin Kim, one of the best cooks I know. It is AWESOME:

Kim's Sunny Vegetable Salad:

5 c. broccoli florets
5 c. cauliflower florets
2 c. shredded cheese
2/3 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. raisins

1 c. mayo
1/2 c. sugar (if you use Splenda, dissolve it in the vinegar first)
2 T. cider vinegar

6 strips of bacon (fried crisp and chopped fine)
1/4 c. sunflower seeds

Mix mayo, sugar and vinegar. Pour over salad -- toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Overnight is fine. Add bacon & seeds right before serving...

***********************

I also took the deviled eggs. The real key to beautiful deviled eggs is to have them PERFECTLY BOILED...if you overcook them, the yolks get rubbery.

Perfect hard-boiled eggs EVERY TIME is easy...

Put room temperature eggs in cold water. Bring to a boil. Immediately put a lid on the pot, and remove from the heat. Set the alarm for 10 minutes. Test one of the eggs -- peel under cold water...a perfectly boiled egg has NO gray discoloration around the yolk.

If your test egg is perfect -- pour the hot water OFF -- and quickly put the eggs in cold water, with ice cubes -- to stop the cooking.

****************

AND -- here is my new tradition. If one of my nieces invites me to a holiday meal at their home -- I'll buy them a board game!!

To kick off this new tradition -- I bought "Attack UNO"...and it was a huge hit! We played in "teams". Each team had one grown-up and one kid. Amy & Memphis, me & Cash, Ronda & Landon and Nicole & Garrett. The kids LOVED this game...they got to push the button on the Attack UNO machine. We laughed and laughed.

Warning: it takes 3 "c" batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment