Thursday, June 9, 2011

Parker Day

My sister Ronda has WAY MORE GRANDCHILDREN than I do. When her daughter, Nicole, had her first child, I offered to "watch the baby" one day a week. I called my Tuesdays "Parker Days". That adorable baby has turned into a TALL, bright 13-year-old young man...

Last summer, he missed his turn in the "Aunt Rita Adventures" rotation because his schedule is very hectic.

SO -- I owed him an outing...and he had a RARE free day last Friday...


When I asked Parker what he was interested in, he said, "architecture". Which was a very good answer -- because I had to return some books to my favorite library -- and the most beautiful building in Scott County. The Bettendorf Public Library...

So -- we started there. I gave Parker my camera...and he took some great pictures. It really is a beautiful building.
Mostly, we just talked. It was so interesting for me to listen to his opinions about the people in our world. Here he is, with a fruit smoothie in the Library coffee shop...

And he got to see Aunt Rita's taste in books...Stieg Larsson (no surprise)...and he got to hear some of my embarrassing stories...about when my boys were his age. Parker was good enough to laugh in all the right places...and the kid DOES have a smile that lights up a room...

There will be some other posts, with more reporting of our day together. I highly recommend "Aunt Adventures". The secret to success is TO NEVER TELL THEM WHERE YOU ARE GOING OR WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Years ago, I took Parker's Mom to see Sarah Brightman sing in a concert. I once signed up his Uncle Cory for a juggling class...

One-one-one time is what you are going for, and at 13 -- the window is closing. The minute a kid gets their driver's license -- they enter the dark ages -- and for about ten years, they don't want to be in the same room with you.

When I was 13 years old, my Aunt Rozella spent time with me. She was the first adult in my life who listened to me as though my opinion mattered...

Aunt Rita's Adventures is me paying it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment