Friday, July 29, 2011

Crib Sheet Invention

At first glance -- this looks like a simple little mattress pad for a toddler bed. BUT -- OH NO IT ISN'T...

Here's the thing about toddler beds. Of course, they use a crib mattress. Which are always made out of plastic. Which means that the corners of fitted sheets keep slipping off. I cut down an old twin mattress pad -- but it wouldn't stay in place. So I decided to try sewing a couple of "bands", using some very stretchy swimsuit fabric...GENIUS!!

This picture is the underside of the mattress -- the bright orange/yellow/pink striped fabric is the lycra swimsuit fabric...

I serged two "bands" on the underside. MAGIC...the mattress pad is going to stay in place PERFECTLY...

Then I decided to use a similar tactic to make the sheet. Instead of sewing elastic around the edges, I made a giant pillowcase. I used dinosaur fabric for the TOP of the sheet -- and a double-stretchy tie-dyed t-shirt fabric for the bottom side. I squared the corners of one end -- and left the other end open...


The mattress slipped right into my giant sheet-case...

My piece of dinosaur fabric was not quite long enough -- so I fudged with a piece of yellow cotton at the top...

PERFECT!! I think crib sheetcases will be my new signature baby gift!! The key to a nice tight fit was using a stretchy fabric on the UNDERside.

geesh...I crack myself up....

No comments:

Post a Comment