Thursday, August 25, 2011

John's Golf Friends

John has been golfing with the same group of guys for over 25 years. From May through November, they have a once-a-month "outing". Every month, they go to a different golf course -- and the guy who lives closest to the course hosts the after-the-outing meal.

So -- August was John's turn. I usually make Easter dinner. Baked ham, potato salad, Cowboy beans, etc. The cooking takes the better part of two days -- and thanks to my cheerful, capable assistant -- Carrie -- the cleaning takes a couple of hours.


I love doing it. The house looked great -- and the food turned out exactly as I hoped...

John and his crew landed about 1:30. I had some cold dips and appetizers ready -- along with a cooler of very cold beverages...

As they walked in the door -- at least two of John's buddies said "hello, Mary"...

Wha??

An hour later, they're all sitting on the porch, John's friend Jim said, "Mary, everything was just delicious..." Another guy chimed in, "yes, Mary -- just terrific."

John finally realized his friends were calling me Mary. Pointing to me, he said, "her name is Rita"...

Of course, they were embarrassed, so I quickly added, "yes, he had to get rid of Mary...she was a complete bitch..."

These men have been friends with my husband for 25 years. AND THEY DON'T KNOW MY NAME??

Here's my point. ALL my friends KNOW my husband's name is John. If you are reading this blog -- YOU know my husband's name is John.

So -- let me think this through. John has been friends with these men for over 25 years...and they don't know my name is Rita. Because he never talks about me??

I'm having one of those "Venus-Mars" moments. Really. When men get together, they talk about sports...

Many hours later, I said, "so, let me get this straight...you NEVER talk about me with your friends? Because all my friends know YOUR name, John.."

He blustered for a bit...then, shaking his head, he walked down the hall. At the last minute, he turned and said, "You really shouldn't take this so personal....

Mary..."

ugh...

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they've all seen the YaYa Sisters, and just got you mixed up :-)
    Laura in Puyallup

    ReplyDelete