Saturday, September 10, 2011

Easy Bake?? NO WAY!!

I bought an Easy-Bake oven for Lillian -- thinking it would be a really fun activity. I gave it to her during my recent visit. I mean -- it's nice to walk into the house with a gift, right?

First of all -- Emily had to find a 100 watt lightbulb (no easy task in today's energy-efficient world, people).

Two hours later, after some assembly and reading the very poorly written, confusing incomplete directions -- we are finally ready to go.

But, to be clear -- this thing should NOT be called "Easy Bake". It should be called the "Disappointing Bake Oven"....or maybe the "one-time-only" play oven. Because I'm absolutely sure NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would put themselves through this torture TWICE...

The door doesn't even open -- it's just a decal. You have to use a long plastic "tool" to place the tiny pan into the baking chamber and then remove it...ugh...

But we went into our activity with lots of enthusiasm. Lillian is really excited...it's just possible we have oversold this piece of crap....

After 15 minutes to preheat the oven -- it takes another 15 minutes to "bake" the single thin little 2" round cake....ARE YOU KIDDING ME....oh, dear...

Time to whip out A REAL CAKE MIX, MOMMY...!! GET A BIG BOWL!! GRANDMA -- TURN ON THE REAL OVEN...

Good idea. Lilly can do some serious finger-licking with a real bowl of cake batter. Gheesh...I love her little apron....

Emily is expecting company on this night -- so with a can of frosting, Lillian is delighted to be MAKING ENOUGH cupcakes to share with her friends...Andy, Mandy and Ember.

This is the first can of frosting I ever bought -- and I was impressed. IT IS DELICIOUS. You have my permission to never make frosting again -- BUY A CAN -- IT IS AWESOME!

Of course, the sprinkles are the important thing....

AND -- note to self -- next time, give the toddler her bath AFTER frosting the cupcakes...

1 comment:

  1. I just came across this article and for some reason it made me think of you.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=39&articleid=20110910_39_D1_CUTLIN330639
    I never had one as a child but I suspect I didn't really miss anything.

    ReplyDelete