Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The "B" Turkey

There are so many things about Thanksgiving that are special. To start with -- I just love the word. It really is about taking one day to be grateful...

Then, of course, there's the MEAL. I don't care what part of the country you live in -- or what your ethnic background is -- if you celebrate Thanksgiving -- YOU ARE EATING TURKEY.

Last year, I cooked a small turkey to take up to Amy's house. Because there are so many people -- all bringing wonderful side dishes --


I decided a second turkey was the best thing I could do. Because it would be a bad thing to run out of turkey on Thanksgiving...and you just can't have enough white meat for turkey sandwiches...

This year -- John & I arrived early -- Amy's house looked fabulous. As people started to arrive, the island was loaded with food -- corn pudding, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, wild rice, cold salads, a gorgeous ham, relish trays...but Amy's VERY LARGE BEAUTIFUL turkey wasn't done.

Imagine the panic....but.....OH -- THAT'S RIGHT -- My "B" turkey is sitting on the counter, wrapped in foil and well rested...

With 25+ hungry people in her house, Amy turned to her husband and said, with a big smile on her face, "Bill -- carve Aunt Rita's turkey "...

I felt wonderful! Like my minor-league son had just been told he was being called up to the Big Leagues. Suddenly, the "B" turkey has moved up to the A TEAM...

I'd put my 12 pound turkey in a 350 oven at 8:00 that morning, and it was cooked to 165 degrees by 10:00. I was shocked by how fast it got done. So I wrapped it in foil and it was well rested -- moist and delicious. You'll just have to take my word for it -- because I did not get a picture. Which often happens with the "B" team...

However -- I DID get a picture of Amy's beautiful BIG turkey later on that day. When it finally came out of the oven -- one hour after we were done eating...



So -- next year, if you're going to somebody else's house for Thanksgiving -- do what I did. Roast a small turkey -- for that "just in case" situation!! Be the turkey-insurance-provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment