Saturday, November 19, 2011

Heart of a Home

Our house is very small by today's standards -- and I love every single room. There is only ONE eating area...the 60" round oak table in our kitchen. I bought the table in 1973 at an antique sale with my friend Kathy. I paid $150 and in today's market, I think it's probably worth about $150...

The light above this table is quite a big deal. Because it's the first thing you see when you come in the kitchen door. And we eat at this table every single day. And every holiday meal happens right here...family games...the light matters...

We've had only two lights above the table. The first one was a $50 capize shell light -- the cheapest thing I could find when we were building the house. It lasted for about 25 years...

I bought a copper chandelier at an auction -- it was fabulous -- or so I thought. But the worthless little bulbs didn't give off much light -- and they kept POPPING...Because it is hard for me to admit I was wrong, that light hung over the table for about five years...but it was clearly time for a change.

I got smart this time -- and took pictures of prospective light candidates with my phone -- then I sent them to John so he could approve...(he never got over complaining about the copper fiasco)...

I found this light at Menard's...They said it needed to be ordered. But John bought it without telling me. Several days later, when I was at a birthday party at Amy's house -- he hung it up to surprise me.

The first thing I do whenever I walk into my house is to flip the switch for this light...and I IMMEDIATELY saw the fabulous new chandelier...

The minute I hit the light switch....I KNEW I was going to love the new chandelier. It is perfect...the light points DOWN, like it should. And I love the Tiffany nature of the light. It reminds me of a wonderful book I just read -- "Clara and Mr. Tiffany"....



It was the story of Clara Driscoll -- the woman who probably came up with the idea of making lamp shades out of leaded glass. During her time at Tiffany studios, married women could not have jobs. The book is about New York City at the turn of the century, as well as the story of the Tiffany family. I LOVED IT...

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new Tiffany-like chandelier...it will be in all my 2011 Holiday Pictures!!

1 comment: