Monday, November 28, 2011

Ross as an adult...

Maybe no parent ever really sees their child as an "adult". My two boys are in their 30's -- and I still find myself telling them how to dress for the weather...

Ross is a cameraman for a wildlife documentary company. He travels ALL THE TIME. He's been to almost every state in the Union -- including several trips to Alaska. He was in South Africa last month on a big game hunt. Anyway -- he doesn't spend much time in his apartment. And when I visited last year, it was still stacked with cardboard boxes that had not been opened for ten years...

After the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Minneapolis, I drove 3 hours to visit Ross and was DELIGHTED to discover that he finally has real furniture...

I loved his yellow chrome dinette set...with the Farro Family picture hanging above the table...(all the kids think this classic is Uncle John)...

For crying out loud -- HE HAS BOTH A COFFEE TABLE AND A SOFA...!!


We went to visit Ross's friends -- Shawn and Melissa -- with their three children...who Ross talks about all the time. He spends many holidays with them -- and whenever he goes to their house, he stops to pick up ice cream for the kids...

For the last two years -- Melissa has been in charge of Ross's birthday cake...chocolate cake with peanut butter icing...

Ross thinks the world of these kids...and they seem to be pretty big fans of his, too...
I had a nice visit with Ross. Hey -- I finally understand that it's not my job to buy curtains to replace the sheet hanging at his window....because that sheet is a CHOICE he made and I need to respect that...

But he can be a man of very few words...and he truly believes I am stupid. Or maybe senile...

Here's a typical conversation between us...

Me: So, when is your next trip?
Ross: Tuesday (he loves one-word-answers)
Me: Where are you going? (trying to have a REAL conversation)
Ross: Hungary
Me: (thinking it's a town in Idaho or Nebraska)...Where is Hungary?
Ross: (long pause...) Still in Europe, Mom...

No comments:

Post a Comment