Monday, December 19, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup

In the winter -- I love to make soups. It just feels like home to me...I love the process, the warmth...the soup spoons...well, you get the idea. And EVERYBODY should have at least one soup they're really confident about making...

One of my "go to" soups is an Italian Wedding Soup. It starts like ALL MY SOUPS...I chop onions, celery and carrots... saute them...

Then add 10 c. of chicken stock (I usually use soup base).

My meatballs are very simple...

1/2 lb. hamburger
1/2 lb. hot sausage
1 small diced onion
1/2 c. instant rice

Drop the meatballs into the simmering soup. They poach in about 15 minutes...but, of course, if your soup is on low, or in a crockpot, they just get better and better.

The LAST thing you add to the soup before serving is a box of chopped frozen spinach. The spinach cooks in just 10 minutes -- and if you put it in sooner -- it disintegrates...

The meatballs are soft and yummy...


John likes to add Parmesan cheese to this soup -- or a few drops of Tobasco -- and some crusty garlic bread is always a good idea...

And a REALLY SPECIAL MUG!!

THANKS, RHONDA!! When John finally went to check the mail the other day -- there was this surprise waiting for me. How beautiful is this mug??

I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT...It has become my favorite new thing...and it is almost big enough to be a soup mug!!

No comments:

Post a Comment