Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

Okay -- I don't usually post on Sunday's. But I'm making an exception today because IT IS CHRISTMAS...

And if you're reading this -- maybe your day sucked. At least a little bit.

Christmas is a time for families...I get that. And we all have this vision in our head of the PERFECT FAMILY CHRISTMAS...which puts a lot of pressure on everybody...

And the truth is -- nobody has a perfect family. If they were really being honest -- every family would admit to their share of problems. Hey -- maybe the key to real happiness is to NEVER be honest...! On this blog, you will only read the completely Pollyannaed version of my family...

My point is -- everybody is dealing with something. People are lonely....there are husbands who are unfaithful, wives who are depressed (or vice versa)... bad jobs, no jobs, thoughtless co-workers, bullies at school, children with behavior problems, sickness, drug addiction, economic problems, bad mortgages, houses that aren't worth what you paid, a cancer diagnosis, children who never call except when they want something, weight gain, diets that don't work, too much drinking, somebody you love is in and out of jail, your son is having babies with the wrong woman, you have rheumatoid arthritis and four surgeries to go through -- (oh oh -- I told Val I'd quit writing about her in this blog)...

But you get my point.

I thought about what I could write here that would make you feel better...and I realized I was way overestimating my powers....lol...

Cuz, hey -- Christmas OFTEN SUCKS.

Because of EVERYTHING we put on "Christmas" -- I actually think it is the most-likely-to-suck-day-of-the-year...

If you are feeling sad, or alone or hurt today -- I am giving you permission to have ONE BAD DAY. You can eat whatever you want to eat...Snickers can be your main meal....go buy dinner at the mini-mart. My local Casey's has awesome pizza -- and they'll be open until 6:00. Veg out in front of the television...and here's my best recommendation. LIFETIME and Lifetime Movie Network -- are both running marathon Christmas movies ALL DAY LONG. They'll be sad...bound to be tear-jerkers....which is exactly what you need. Just go with it. Let the snot run down your face...you deserve an all-day-pity-party...

Then -- roll out of bed tomorrow morning and GET OVER IT. Pull up your big girl pants and do something that matters.

The best part is -- YOU get to decide what that is...

It is important to remember that Christmas is just ONE DAY, babe. That's all it is. ONE DAY. And SURE -- on this day -- somebody, somewhere, is having the very BEST day of their life...

But tomorrow it could be YOUR TURN...

And you are not alone...

1 comment:

  1. Yes Christmas can be "SUCKY"! This year I had my Tonsils out 9 days prior to Christmas which meant NO Christmas Dinner, No singing the Christmas Carols and it hurts to cry over all the Hallmark Christmas Movies I had DVR-ed to watch during my recovery. BUT Christmas is all about the Love I feel from my family. Gratitude for all I have is what I have to remember, even if only half of them could be with me that day. And I thought I was a "POLLYANNA" with my rose colored glasses.

    ReplyDelete