Saturday, January 21, 2012

Grace & My Best Uncle

The best Christmas gift I received this year came from my Uncle Melvin.

My mother's younger brother -- he has always been everybody's favorite Uncle. When we were growing up -- he was a fun loving young man who came into the room with a big smile -- and actually had CONVERSATIONS with us kids. Looking back at it -- it is stunning to me that he took so much time and was always interested in what we were doing.

I mean -- WHO DOES THAT?

He'd show up at our house (six kids, remember?) -- with a brown paper bag full of Hersey bars. Then he'd play baseball with us in the front yard...

When my brother Calvin was nine years old, he spent a long time in the hospital having surgery on his ear. When he came home -- Uncle Melvin had BUILT HIM A CAR. We called it the "jeep" -- it was burgundy and had a gas engine -- and we drove it all over the farm...for years...

Really...who does that??

This year -- on Christmas Day, Uncle Melvin gave me a CD he had made -- which was a snippit our family from the 1950's -- when he was the only guy in the county with a home movie camera.

He's spent the last year -- watching hours and hours of those old home movies -- and then moving the images to today's digital technology. He made and delivered 32 CD's to various people and families...

For example, he sent a CD to a woman (now 65 years old and living in Florida) -- who is the daughter of a man Uncle Melvin knew from his Navy days. In the 50's -- they vacationed together and the movies show a young family camping and horsing around for the camera. Uncle Melvin's friend died when he was only 49 years old. When that Florida woman got the CD, showing her as a young girl, with her Dad...Well -- you can imagine.

I mean -- WHO DOES THAT??

When Uncle Melvin walked into my house for our New Year's Dinner -- he was wearing a blue and green plaid shirt. Just like the man in the picture. "Grace" -- remember?

Because John was ALSO WEARING a blue and green plaid shirt -- I decided to set up a photo moment...with John on one side and Uncle Melvin on the other....Kathy is holding the picture...

In their blue/green plaid shirts -- my husband John and my Uncle Melvin....

If saying "Grace" is about being thankful for your blessings...I am....because they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment