Saturday, January 28, 2012

Painted Luggage

Yes, I paint my luggage...

Actually, it's one of my FAVORITE THINGS TO DO...
Other people watch the dozens of black bags go around and around the airport carousel... wondering which one is theirs...because THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE...

But my suitcases are always VERY EASY TO FIND -- and I'm the first person out on the curb, looking for my ride...

My bags have been to many, many airports over the years...including Memphis...

Reno, Cincinnati, Seattle, Chantilly, Kansas City...

NO AIRLINE could ever lose my bags...there simply is no excuse...I have the AIRPORT CODE painted right on the bag...

Sometimes, I do the EMBROIDERY on a piece of fabric -- and then glue it on the bag before I Mod Podge the whole bag...

Mod Podge is the key to success. You have to use it to seal the luggage fabric -- otherwise, the paint just soaks in...

Once the sealer dries -- I use any kind of paint. In this case, white paint and yellow paint -- then I decorated on top -- using more paint -- or felt tip markers...

THIS SUITCASE was written up in Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine! I did all the embroidery on fabric, then cut it to fit the shapes needed for the luggage...

When your design is complete -- put MORE MOD Podge on -- to seal everything. Believe me -- the paint job will hold up long after the wheels are busted.

Sadly, last year, two of these bags were destroyed by the rough handling. Ugh. One had the handle ripped off...another lost a wheel...

Treating them with the respect they deserve, like a worn out American Flag, or a treasured Lazy Boy recliner -- I had a little funeral and burned them...

Now I'm on the hunt to find another rolling duffel that is worthy...

And the next time I'm writing about painted luggage -- it will be to unveil my NEW BAG...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment