Saturday, January 7, 2012

War Horse

John and I are not "movie" people. Our next generation -- Elliott, Emily and Ross watch LOTS OF MOVIES. It's hard to rent a movie when they visit -- because they have SEEN everything by the time it comes out on video.

John & I attend one movie a year -- with our friends Kim & Sue -- always on New Year's Eve. True Grit last year -- and Julia & Julie the year before that...

So it was very odd for John to attend THREE movies in one week! He went to see the Sherlock Holmes movie with Ross, and the three of us went to see War Horse on the last day of Ross's holiday visit...(the E team had already gone back to Wisconsin)...

It ended up being a wonderful, memorable day in many ways.


The funny thing is -- I almost didn't go because my cousin Linda HATED the movie. But I decided not to pass her negative review on to my guys -- since I figured this day wasn't really about the movie...

As it happened -- it did end up being about the movie. We went out for dinner after seeing War Horse -- and the movie sparked some very interesting discussions. Ross recently returned from a trip to Hungary. After watching War Horse -- we talked about World War I -- how this war was supposed to end "royalty" in Europe...and my Grandpa Dodds, who fought in that war -- and how little I know about him...

But I am lucky to have somebody I can ask these questions...my mother's brother...my favorite Uncle Melvin. He was coming to our house for New Year's Day dinner. Although Ross can't be there -- he had a LIST OF QUESTIONS...

Oh, yeah -- War Horse was an excellent movie. But don't take my word for it -- go see for yourself!!

I loved the movie -- and I will not spoil it for you. But there were several lines I'll remember -- because they really made me think. The long suffering wife, when talking about her husband -- told her son that his father came back from his war with medals for bravery -- for "saving his mates". But he threw them away and never spoke of that time.

The son had no idea who his father was -- and he said, "I would have been so proud". His Mum replied, "think how brave it was of him not to be proud"...

No comments:

Post a Comment