Friday, August 3, 2012

Sewing Sister Moments

This blog is a very personal thing. In the beginning, learning "how to blog" was just an exercise. I needed to figure it out because of my job with the Puyallup Sewing & Stitchery Expo. So I took some classes -- learned how to post...then how to upload a picture...change the design...etc...

If you're a regular reader -- you know there is often NO POINT WHATSOEVER...

Maybe that's what I like about it. I'm not trying to sell you anything (most of the time)...I don't worry about being politically correct...I share a lot of personal stuff...I never know what I might blog about.

Often -- I'm inspired by the pictures...I still have not solved the mystery of the 2012 Sew Expo pictures. But I have 400 shots from the pre-show day....and what if that's all I ever get? Can I really write about these same pictures over and over again? For the next year?

It was a miserable cold wet day...





When I look at this picture of Connie Crawford's class -- I remember the wonderful visit I had with her -- YEARS AGO -- when she had her studio in Sedona, Arizona. My friend Marion and I were on one of our fabulous "road trips" -- and Connie invited us to her home and gave us a tour. It was my first (and so far, last) trip to Sedona.

In Sue Hasumann's class, I had a similar moment of memory. Sue and Herb were the official hosts when Mary Mulari and I went on our first (and so far last) trip to Sweden. What a fabulous time we had...we visited Mary's relatives in Norway, cruised through the mountains, Sue set up a country tour of a barn where a woman made linen (or was it flax?)...Herb was our bus driver....I weighed over 300 pounds at the time and nearly DIED walking up a hill in Sweden trying to get to a museum to see some boring damn Viking boat...(On the other hand -- Mary could have walked to Paris...)
In this picture, Janet Pray is having a conversation with Ann Sagawa. Looking at it, I remember the incredible trip to New York City with Ann. We experienced frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity with my friend Jeff. And then, my mind snaps to a wonderful weekend at Janet Pray's family lake house in Michigan...Janet was going to teach me and Donna Babylon how to dye yarn and knit socks...

I've never been back to either the Serendipity or the Lake House...

And this picture of Cindy Rowell -- teaching machine beading. I remember the time I stayed at Cindy's house -- in Canada -- and we were driving to the ferry so we could go to the big sewing show on Vancouver Island..in the Empress Hotel in stunning Victoria. WE RAN OUT OF GAS...and I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants...
And I've never been back....either to Cindy's house or the Empress Hotel....

Wow. It suddenly hit me. How lucky I have been to meet so many interesting women and visit so many incredible places. How many moments I've shared with these sewing sisters of mine. All over the world.

Looking back, I realize that I only had that one shot....that one chance to enjoy that place and those people...

...and I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment