Tuesday, June 26, 2012

More Treasure

Any good day of junkin' would have to include BOOKS. Of course...I am a sucker for many different kinds of books...and last Saturday was a VERY SUCCESSFUL day for book buying...even by my very high standards!!
I bought half a dozen book treasures...

As we were walking through one of our favorite antique malls, I said to Bert, "I am so disappointed with today's children's books. OH MY GOD...the books they write for kids are SOOO BORING and pointless. And the classic children's stories? Positively horrifying. If you're a pretty girl, like Snow White -- you have a wicked step mother who is actively trying to murder you just because her trusty mirror tells her she is not the most beautiful? For crying out loud -- it's like an episode of the Real Housewives of Orange County."

Then -- SERIOUSLY -- in the very next booth -- I found this!!  Awesome.  EXACTLY the book I dreamed about...  Stories that take up four or five pages -- beautiful illustrations -- AND THERE ARE ACTUAL LESSONS to be learned.  Hallelujah...!!  Now I don't have to sit down and write a bedtime story book for children...

AND this cookbook isn't just ANY cookbook!!  Ohhhh Nooooo...Its a 1947 version of the Meta Given's cookbook that was my mother's "go to" cookbook.  It was the only cookbook my mother ever owned -- and the original was dog-eared and stained, with missing pages and a broken binding...This one was IN PERFECT CONDITION...and only $2.00.....can we all say it -- on the county of three...two...one....'RITALUCK"..!!

How well I remember the black and white pictures in this cookbook.
Whenever I see this Meta Givens cookbook I buy it -- because I love giving it to my nieces.  Although, I have to start writing this stuff down...But I don't know who I've already given it to...ugh...

But -- as good as all those books are -- maybe the biggest book tingle of the day -- believe it or not -- was this....
This little book is such a treasure -- one day soon I'm hoping to share the entire chapter about the care of wool blankets!!  EUREKA...what a find...I am such a lucky girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment