Monday, July 2, 2012

My Iowa Summer


Dear Everybody,

I LOVE writing the blog.  I love the emails I get from ya'll, and I love it when you miss the blog...lol...Anyway -- this post is a total cop-out.  I'm going to share part of an email I sent to a friend...

But you will see that as soon as I get my life back under control, I'll have a LOT OF FUN STUFF TO BLOG ABOUT!!

Dear Reader/Friend,

I had a crazy busy week....Last Sunday,  I took chicken & biscuits up to Low Moor...Elliott and Emily have been working day and night to get their new house ready.  I lOVE, LOVE, LOVE, having Lilly only 10 minutes away!!  Lilly came home with me so they could work on the new laminate floors into the night...

Wednesday I had an all day workshop about Pinterest. Thursday-Saturday I went to the Midwest Writer's Conference annual workshop. I signed up for three workshops -- but that's always a mistake because there's NO WAY I can do the writing for three workshop classes. But you never know which class is going to be THE GOOD ONE...Anyway -- my favorite was "Flash Fiction". The thing is -- I write non-fiction -- but the more I learn, the more I realize writing is writing. People who write "fiction" always write about something in their own life. AND people who write "non-fiction" (like, say, a politician's biography) -- are mostly making crap up...

Thursday night I met my niece Amy and her boys in Eldridge at 7:00 -- and we went to see "The King and I". Cale's friend Keegan had a part and he is a wonderful singer. The woman who had the lead was a terrific singer, as well. But the play was deadly boring...and REALLY long...so after the 90 minute first act, I said, "Hey, boys -- wanna leave now and go for ice cream?" And they all just lit up!! Amy wasn't about to argue. I told her that culture is best in small doses...

Sunday morning there was a REALLY Big party at Deena's house. Baby Nora's baptism...There were about 50 people...an electric piano in the backyard, with a retired minister, Ruthann, who is a family friend. I quite enjoyed her sermon. Maybe it was the big shady trees and the beautiful morning breezes. Even though it was hot hot hot.....it was a beautiful party. The baby was gorgeous in her hand-made-by-Grandma-Deena baptism gown. Ruthann's grandson, Zack, 12 years old, serenaded us on his violin...my favorite song was the Tennesee Waltz!!. (He's getting ready to compete in the Iowa State Fair.) Deena had plenty of benches and lawn chairs in the yard -- and there were little kids running around and big dogs barking. IT WAS A PERFECT PARTY...

SO MUCH FOOD....Deena made meatballs, and had pulled turkey in crock pots for sandwiches. It was a potluck and we had maybe 20 different salads. One had Snicker's candy bars in it...another one had Heath toffee bars...and the third had Butterfinger bars. I AM NOT KIDDING...

IT'S NO WONDER WE ARE FAT IN IOWA. For the record -- I took a healthy apple/kidney bean salad. (With celery, Vidalia onions, and a sweet/sour vinegarette.)  When I pointed out to my sister Ronda that nobody was eating my HEALTHY salad, she said, "well, now you've guilted me into it."  She scooped some on her plate, then made a move to give me a big spoonful. Covering my plate,  I said, "are you kidding?  I'm eating the Snickers apple salad."

Then -- Sunday night, I took two of my great-nieces (13 & 15) to "The complete works of William Shakespeare "abridged""...and it was AWESOME. Lexie and Ally laughed so hard -- I was amazed by how much of it they actually understood.  The whole thing was, of course, a parody (like, the four guys did all of Shakespeare's comedies as a RAP number).  It was very much an audience participation event. And I just loved being with them.  I cannot remember ever having a better time with two kids.  Both girls are bright and funny and at that perfect age -- when they're eager to learn and willing to talk.  Those girls had the best time ever -- and I was just delighted it worked out.

Hey -- Happy 4th of July!!
love,
rita

P.S. -- thanks for the email, Susan -- I am delighted you missed me.  And you are right -- some days it's just more fun LIVING life as opposed to WRITING about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment