Monday, November 12, 2012

Grandpa Schroder

Thanks for your comments and emails about the Honor Flight film. We really should have built that WW II memorial sooner than we did. But the truth is -- those WW II vets were just not a demanding bunch.
Maybe that's why we consider them the "greatest generation". Because they were so quiet and unassuming. They did not serve for thanks. Or for money. They left this country as innocent young boys -- sent off to a bloody war in a foreign land that seemed to have no reason and no end. Then -- when they came home -- they put their duffle bag in the attic or basement -- picked up their life where they left off -- and never spoke of their time in the war.
My Dad was a navigator on a B-26 and I never had a single conversation with him about what he did during World War II.
So I never got a chance to say this...Thank-you for your service, Dad...
If you still have your father -- and he is a veteran -- ask him about his service. And thank him for me...
To read about the flight of one local veteran -- Norm Schroder -- I am sending you over to his granddaughter's blog. My niece, Kelcy, is a wonderful photographer...and the picture she took of her grandpa as he got off the Honor Flight is one of those Kodak moments For sure. Good job, all...
Yes. I am proud to be an American...

No comments:

Post a Comment