Saturday, January 26, 2013

Zebra mini-sofa

This project falls under the category of, "you never know what you're going to find at the thrift store..."
Two weeks before Christmas -- there it was -- a child-sized foam rubber sofa...for $6.94. WHA?? How can I NOT BUY THE DARN THING???


This picture gives you a better idea about the size. AND shows the ottoman...(included in the price).

I chose a zebra corduroy fabric (and you were worried, Rhonda!)...the black and teal are pieces cut from velour shirts off t-shirt mountain.......

This is what the back of the sofa looks like...I used the zebra to piece together the velour...

By the time I started on the ottoman -- I had to cut up another shirt...

Sticking with the jungle theme -- I cut up a black sweater than had several cat appliques...

I recycled some embroidery...this piece HAD been starched onto Lillian's wall...I just wet it to remove it from the wall and decided to sew it on top of the ottoman...

Christmas Eve, Lilly and Sophie settled right into her new little mini-sofa...

This was a wonderful project. I loved finding the sofa in the first place...then going through my huge fabric/t-shirt stash, finding just the right pieces to give it an updated makeover...

The week before Christmas, I'd be in the basement, working on Lilly's little sofa until the wee hours of the morning...and I LOVED DOING IT, I LOVED THE WAY IT TURNED OUT...and -- even more importantly -- Lillian loved it, too. Yes, people -- this is almost a smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment