Saturday, June 1, 2013

Better than Orange?

THIS INCREDIBLE COUCH was at the Cambridge, Illinois auction. When I sat on it, it just felt like home. It got me to remember the orange couch from my youth...and I FELL IN LOVE. I took this picture -- and I made Bert come over to sit on it. Can you see that it is yellow corduroy? OMG...my favorite color AND my favorite fabric. Of all time. I MUST HAVE THIS SOFA. It's in perfect condition -- there isn't even any wear on the arms. I love it, love it, love it...


There were so many other interesting things at this auction. A box of books caught my eye...This was a 1944 edition of Leaves of Grass...

Of course, Walt Whitman was the author -- but the illustrations in this special edition were done by some famous WPA artists...

I am SUCH A SUCKER for books...Of ALL kinds....four boxes of books went for $2.50. I DID NOT EVEN BID...I am getting very selective....



All during the auction -- I kept going back to my beautiful yellow couch. To bring this into my home, I'll have to buy it, then have somebody bring a pick-up truck to get it. (I'm one hour away from home) And that's certainly not the biggest issue. The BIG problem is that to make room for it in my house, I'll have to get rid of at least two recliners and two tables. ugh. I haven't had a couch in the living room for ten years...and there must be a reason I decided to get rid of the couch...right???


This young woman SAVED ME. As the auctioneer moved closer to my yellow couch -- I had completely talked myself into buying it. Then I noticed this girl...and I asked if she was planning to bid on the couch. She said she was thinking about it -- she's moving into her first apartment. She just graduated from North Scott High School(so did I!!)...and at that moment I remembered the orange sofa Jackie and I had in our first apartment. And I knew the yellow corduroy sofa belonged to her. She bid $5. And nobody bid against her. I WAS SOO HAPPY...

No comments:

Post a Comment