Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mystic River

You already know we rented a van for our road trip to Connecticut...


And Lord knows I enjoy a good road trip as much as the next guy....


I loved John's Navy buddy, Pat McGovern -- and I could've listened to their submarine stories all day long...AND I DID...

Then, we were joined by the charming Joseph O'Hara -- and the same stories had a different spin -- funnier and with a more Irish point of view...

So it was another enjoyable day in the van,  listening to their Navy stories...and how things were way back at the turn of the century...

We drove...and drove...They talked...and talked...


AT the special Friday Night dinner -- in the basement of the SubVets Club -- they hooked up with yet another buddy -- Ken -- and they are eager to review some of the stories they've been sharing with each other for the last two days...


Clearly -- it was time for me to take a break. I threw the four of them out at the motel and then drove myself to Mystic Harbor, Connecticut.  It was almost dark by the time I managed my escape...
But that didn't matter.  It's an easy drive from Groton...and I was delighted to be IN THE VAN, BY MYSELF...
There is an old fashioned draw-bridge in the middle of town...
As it turns out, I never actually made it to Mystic River.  I was in EAST Mystic River when I parked the car and did a little walk about town.  The streets were crowded with people, and some of the stores were open late.
Right on the other side of the bridge, there was a charming ICE CREAM SHOP...and I bought a waffle cone with the flavor of the day...
This trip was all about John spending time with his Navy buddies and I totally get that.  No wife could have been more happy for him than I was.  But after three days and two nights in a van -- for just one hour...I really, really wanted to be alone.... 

Hey -- DON'T JUDGE ME.  For the record -- I lasted way longer on the Holland Club weekend than John would have ever lasted at a sewing show...

And THANK GOD for East Mystic River, Connecticut...

No comments:

Post a Comment