Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Shipshewana Quilt Show

Today I'll be on the road -- headed to the Shipshewana Quilt Festival in  Shipshewana, Indiana.



Whenever possible, I like to experience the AREA I'm visiting -- and as soon as you google Shipshewana, Indiana -- you find a lot of information about the Amish community there -- as well as Yoder's Department Store. HEY -- THIS IS GONNA BE FUN...




Maybe 2013 will be my "Amish Year". Hummm...who knows? This could be my IMMERSION into the AMISH culture.

Last Saturday, I spent the whole day visiting Kalona -- now I'm headed to Shipshewana for the first time.

When John and I go to Pennsylvania to visit his family I could spend some time in Lancaster and Intercourse. 

My favorite summer television show is TLC's "Breaking Amish" -- and it is shocking to learn about the dark side of the Amish culture.  I would love to actually meet an Amish woman and have a real conversation. Maybe I could find an Amish woman who would swap places with me for a week...

I am curious and it is tempting.  But maybe it would be better if I went to Sarasota and looked up Mary.  She is the soft-spoken 300 pound Amish mother who followed her two grown children who went to Florida to leave the Amish.  She is still wearing her traditional plain dresses and muslin hats while hanging their clothes out on the make-shift clothesline.  But she has added going to bars and slogging back Vodka to her daily routine...

As my friend Marion and I always say....WHY WOULD ANYBODY WRITE FICTION??  The truth is so bizarre -- it never lets you down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment