Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Day Trippin'

When Bert said, "Let's go to Kalona on Saturday." -- I was ALL IN...
Kalona, Iowa, is a small town south of Iowa City. It markets itself as the "largest Amish community west of the Mississippi". When you near Kalona, you'll see horse and buggy transportation.

It looked like rain when we started out -- but eventually the skies cleared and it was the perfect summer day.

We had breakfast at Gramma's, one of our favorite restaurants -- excellent ham with crispy fried potatoes...always a good beginning...

The drive was an hour or so. The time went fast, because we have our weekly DOWNLOAD to do. Just outside of Kalona, there was a simple farm stand in front of a large Amish farmhouse. Their sign said "Homemade Ice Cream"...Bert hit the brakes -- turned the car around and went back. Yes -- homemade strawberry ice cream!! WHAT A GREAT WAY TO START OUR KALONA DAY...

But -- wait -- $1.50 for the smallest scoop of ice cream I ever saw -- served in Styrofoam bowls with Styrofoam lids and plastic spoons??

What a disappointment. Not to mention -- what a rip-off.  What about the green footprint we always give the Amish credit for? I mean -- really? A simple cone wasn't an option?

It is a conundrum...that's all I'm sayin'...just my own minor observation.  And, since it's all about me -- nothing is going to ruin my good time...    

We had a WONDERFUL DAY in Kalona. As soon as I bring my bags-o-treasure in from the car -- there WILL BE PICTURES.

AND THE LUNCH RESTAURANT WAS AMAZING...

No comments:

Post a Comment