Monday, June 10, 2013

Where there is a will....

Whenever Bert and I go a coupla weeks without our Saturday fix -- we start to get antsy. What with our Pennsylvania visitors, and then our quick trip to Connecticut last week -- we've had a long dry spell. So, we were delighted there was an auction in Thompson, Illinois last Saturday. A new location for us -- and it's always good to go new places...meet new people....it was a BEAUTIFUL day....



The auctioneers are the Tipton Auction Service -- a newer building, with nice bathrooms, and delicious food. So far, so good.  If you measure our good time by the ACTUAL WEIGHT OF the TREASURE....it was the BEST DAY EVER...



As a matter of fact, Bert bought so much stuff -- she had to spend an hour REPACKING her Subaru Forrester.  (the same car Mary Mulari owns -- which, little known fact here -- is the #1 car choice of lesbians living in Alaska.)

I helped Bert when I could -- well, mostly, I sat in the shade, trying to stay out of her way.  Occasionally, I would holler out, "I'm here for you, Bert..."

Also -- when it became obvious that the two beautiful wicker chairs she purchased would NEVER fit inside her already-stuffed-to-the-gills little SUV -- I went back into the auction and bid on a box that had a length of rope. Although I was not the successful bidder -- I went up to the man (Ike) who DID buy the box and asked if he would sell me the piece of rope. So, for $2.50 -- I had a nice long piece of rope -- WHICH BERT REALLY, REALLY NEEDED to complete her mission impossible..because she had to tie one of the chairs on top of the car.....


I've gotta say -- this was a first for us!! In all our years of auctions and treasure hunting -- we have never before actually had to tie anything to the outside of our vehicle...


But these two chairs were WELL WORTH THE EFFORT. They are probably about 10 years old, and very heavy. That old-English looking wicker and cane. VERY expensive when they were new. With white cotton upholstered seat cushions...in great shape. Classy, comfortable, elegant chairs for Bert's front porch. And she was THRILLED to get them for $37.50 apiece.

I'm pretty sure there will be a little sewing-new-seat-covers upholstery job in my future. (Or Bert could just paint the fabric -- that would be fun!)

I'll bet you're wondering what I BOUGHT at this auction, aren't you??

Coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment