Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My friend Simon Haskins

Here's a review of several blog posts I have written about my friend, Simon Haskins...

In 2010 -- I wrote:

Okay -- THIS IS SO MUCH FUN. Simon Haskins is on a whirlwind midwestern tour -- in the weeks before the International Quilt Market in Houston. Here's a picture of Simon at the Spring Quilt Market -- as he autographs a book for my sister Deborah -- his biggest fan.

You ALREADY KNOW what a huge fan she is -- she loves Jenny Haskins embroidery designs -- and I believe she's made 27 embroidered silk quilts so far. (that is only a slight exaggeration)...

This is the back of her denim jacket -- adorned with Simon's designs...

Well -- as you know -- she embroiders clothes for me ALL THE TIME. And she will never accept any money...but today I figured out a way to PAY HER BACK...

I have arranged with Simon's host shop -- in Paducah -- to present Deborah with a gift certificate at the beginning of the day!!

SURPRISE, DEB!! And -- hey -- KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! FINALLY! My embroidery-crazed sister Deborah got to meet her sewing star idol -- Simon Haskins!! If you are a regular reader of this blog -- you may remember an actual video of Simon talking to Deb on my cellphone...

Yes, she's a HUGE FAN of his...

Behind this embroidered masterpiece -- my sister Deborah...taking part in an all-day hands-on class with Simon Haskins -- in Paducah, Ky.


After attending Simon's class -- Deb sent me this note:

The day was awesome Simon did a great job teaching the class and keeping everyone on track. We learned different things about stabilizer-how to weave ribbon on sticky stabilizer and attach to a design-how to use fabric softener to get the sticky off the fabric by letting it soak in water. It was really neat seeing the quilts that you have seen in magazines.

Simon was just like I thought he would be -- creative and fun loving. He is all about just getting it done.


This is a picture of my sister Deborah on the left, Simon, and her friend Nancy...



This is my favorite picture...of Deb and Simon...I'm gonna have it framed...

AFTER the class -- Simon sent me this note:

Rita -- Your sister is a doll you are lucky to have her and she is drop dead stunning. We had a great day she was wonderful to have in the class full of energy and happiness.
********


Fast Forward -- two years later -- maybe the best sister moment I ever had -- Deb and our faux sister Barb greeting their best-embroidery-buddy -- Simon Haskins at the 2012 Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup....  

Deb and Barb are SUCH HUGE FANS of Simon.  Deb has made so many of his embroidered quilts...her talent, and artistic touch with the embroidery machine, and his passion for this creative hobby we all share.

*************
UPDATE:

As I write this -- our friend Simon is in the fight of his life back home in Australia.  He was diagnosed with  a rare cancer -- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and he will be undergoing chemotherapy for the next two years.

If you are on Facebook, you can go to Simon's page to cheer for him and be awed by his spirit and heart.    WE LOVE YOU, SIMON...

No comments:

Post a Comment