Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Upsize a Sexy Sleepshirt

This thrift store Victoria's Secret nightgown was a size XL. With short sleeves. Of course, I FORGOT to take a picture before I began the revamp.  Trust me -- there are fabric covered buttons all the way down the front -- with a little ruffle at the neckline.  It is very sexy...


The first thing I did was cut off the sleeves. However, the fabric started to fray and the armhole ended up too gappy.... So, I added back some of the sleeve fabric -- then created a ribbed facing from a MATCHING T-SHIRT off the mountain...

It was AN AMAZING color match. Perfect, really. As you can see from this 10" box pleat I added in the center back of the sexy sleep shirt...



However -- the top of my perfectly matched boxed pleat was messy, with exposed raw edges....so I used the hem of the discarded sleeve to create a detail that would cover up the sloppy sewing...

ISN'T THIS FUN??? I mean -- really -- think how much time I saved! Doing this project from scratch would take days -- between the ruffle and the covered buttons and then the dozen little buttonholes. My way is a WHOLE LOT QUICKER. And waaaaaay cheaper, too. Total investment? $1.38 for the sleep shirt and 25 cents for the matching t-shirt.


REDO, RESTYLE, RECYCLE...Thrifting ROCKS...it can even be sexy!

No comments:

Post a Comment