Wednesday, October 23, 2013

New Sewing Art Form??


This summer -- BOTH Linda's had surgery. Linda P. had a knee replacement (I took halupkes to her house).  Linda K. had stomach surgery, so cabbage rolls didn't seem like the right get-well gift...


I wanted to make her a lightweight cotton robe with a front opening. So -- down to my stash!! There, I found a wonderful Hawaiian print MuMu. But since she wouldn't be able to pull it over her head -- I needed to make it a front-opening -- and we all know I'm not going to make a bunch of buttonholes.  I went to the closet and got out one of John's seldom worn dress shirts.  All I needed was the perfectly done buttonholes an matching buttons...

I cut away the front placket of the men's shirt...


Then, I sliced open the front of the dress and added the shirt placket...


It was ALMOST perfect...


You can see on the wrong side how I married it into the existing yoke...


Then -- another climb on t-shirt mountain till I found the right color pink t-shirt -- to take the facing all the way to the bottom hem...


NOW it's perfect!!

I don't know why this kind of sewing is more fun for me than ordinary sewing.  You know -- when you buy the fabric, then choose a pattern, cut it out...oh, wait -- it's all coming back to me...

There should be a term for my kind of sewing.  It's a combination of thrift store shopping, hoarding, and then cutting up two or three different things to make a new thing.   I think I have created a new art form -- I'm going to call it "Frankensewing"...

No comments:

Post a Comment